|DELAGE. A brief History 1926-1953|
|Back to main|
The DM series of 3.2 litre 6 cyl high quality cars is produced (total 2567), and a side valve 2.2 litre version proves popular with over 5000 sold.
The D8 series of 4 litre straight 8 cars is introduced and production continues to 1933 (around 2000 examples). These cars attract coachwork by famous makers and win prizes in Concours d'Elegance around the world. Six cylinder variants (type D6, 3 litres, and DS, 2.5 litre) are available from 1930/33
sees a new range of 4, 6, and 8 cyl cars with engines designed to the "square" bore and stroke formula
The fortunes of the Company decline. Close to bankruptcy, the Delage Company is bought by Walter Watney, the owner of the principle dealership in used Delage cars in Paris. The main factory in Courbevoie is sold to a machine tool company, and the right to manufacture cars under the Delage name is bought by Delahaye
Cars employ a very successful series of engines derived from a six-cylinder ohv unit developed by Delahaye. This is available in 4, 6, and eight cylinder versions. The Delage models for this period include the very popular D6 70 range, and the D8 120 that attractsexotic and luxurious coachwork. The sporting aspect of Delage is maintained with a coupé version of the D6 75 built for Le Mans in 1935, and leading to a three car racing team managed by Watney who's leading driver is Louis Gerard. A V12 car is built employing two 6 cyl. blocks, but its career is short lived.
Production resumes with the D6 3 litre, known prewar as the D6 75. A three-carburetter version of the engine (in the "Olympic" chassis) produces 100 bhp. A single example of a D8 120 is built in 1947.
In 1953 The Hotchkiss/Delahaye/Delage organisation ceases car manufacture.